REGIONAL PROVINCE OF RAGUSA
This agency aims to improve the socio-economic welfare of the province and to help integrate local initiatives into a European context. It is in charge of promoting and disseminating public notices at the regional, national, and EU level, and of evaluating and developing project ideas, as well as providing for the implementation of relevant projects.
Within the Regional Province of Ragusa, the department known as "Planning for socio-economic welfare, community policies, and Euro-Mediterranean cooperation for development" has expertise in the design and management of new community initiatives. This sector counsels, promotes, and shares community news, as well as information about regional and national financial opportunities. It organizes events and seminars related to European and other matters.
From its "infodesk" it also carries out activities related to the concerns of young people, local businesses, public companies, trade associations, educational institutions of all levels, and others who wish to access information and opportunities offered by the EU, the state, or the region.
The department works out project ideas, looking for partners to carry out its designs. It closely follows the implementation of projects that have received funding, or, with the help of the "Economic-Financial" sector, the reporting phase of projects entrusted to other departments.
The services provided can be summarized as follows:
- Support to the Administration of the province in preparing and presenting European projects, in searching for partners and in contacting the Directorate General of the European Commission, the Ministries, and the Sicilian Region;
- Dissemination of supporting documentation, forms and announcements for the various programs and competitions;
- Sharing of publications, newsletters, and brochures that the office has received;
- Dissemination of information about the policies and EU legislation through the daily updating of its website;
- Organization of conferences and seminars to disseminate the results of the community's design projects;
- Participation in trade fairs and the subsequent distribution of trade fair news via the website;
- Assistance to PMI members about the use of EU funds, EU legislation and its application in Italy and in other EU countries as well as on policies, programs and funding for the internationalization of small and medium-sized businesses and their implementation in the region;
- Promoting knowledge about EU regulations and economic globalization.
Role in the LITHOS project
With its background in managing community initiatives, the Regional Province of Ragusa coordinates the activities of LITHOS, handles its management (both content and financial management), and the involvement of its partners. As the guarantor of consistency between the project's stated aims and their eventual achievement, the agency emphasizes the need for hard work and persistence.
Project activities already completed
As part of LITHOS, the Regional Province of Ragusa, in addition to having coordinated the formation of the partnership, has already secured the location of the headquarters of the International Research Centre for Stereotomy and Stone Building Materials.
The splendid Palazzo La Rocca, one of the eighteen UNESCO heritage sites in the province, will host the Centre. It will be equipped with:
- a specialized Research Library with every-known manuscript and print text on stereotomy (either originals or copies of rare texts) as well as detailed texts on the use of stone in restoration and contemporary architecture;
- a Museum of History and Technology, the first ever in Sicily dedicated to stereotomy, displaying drawings, reliefs, 3D models, and architectural fragments and artifacts that show the various uses of stone.
Participation in previous projects (references)
As far as managing community projects, the Regional Province of Ragusa has already distinguished itself for implementing projects such as:
- Susten Mechanism - the MED Programme, an initiative for environmental protection and sustainable territorial development;
- Scenari: Local Pact for change - EQUAL PHASE II - Local ways to manage production and market changes;
- RE.DI.RE - EQUAL PHASE I - Networking among key players in local development, and so on.